‘Tis the Softball Season
There is an enormous wealth of good that is provided by teams and leagues off the field, specifically, in their communities. In this, the “Season of Giving”, we thought we’d do something extra to promote the great work that our teams are doing to positively impact their community. And with that we welcome up to the plate, team Teine Malohi Softball of Salt Lake City, UT.
Teine Malohi Softball’s Goals
It’s more than just batters up and counted runs in to home for this softball squad. It’s way more than just a game. But it does start there. Teine Malohi Softball’s goal is to use the fundamentals of sports to empower young Pacific Islander female athletes and it starts with Athletic Development. Here are the goals.
- Athletic Development: Provide a competitive, high-level softball program.
- Community Leadership: Facilitate a youth leadership network to increase involvement in the Pacific Islander community.
- Academic Success: Reinforce balance, organized study habits, and connect athletes with supportive resources if necessary.
- Affordability: Develop appropriate fee schedules and actively pursue external funding sources.
Because there is a shortage of affordable, consistent and effective programs for Pacific Islanders, Teine Malohi Softball has their work cut out for them.
Here’s What They’ve Accomplished
- For the 2016-2017 academic year, Teine Malohi Softball averaged a 3.6 GPA.
- In 2017, Teine Malohi Softball has raised over in $15,000 in program funding.
- 45 leadership service hours were invested in the community in 2017.
- Collectively completed 25,200 minutes of reading in 2017.
- 1st Place in the Silver Bracket for the All About the Base Tournament.
Over the next year, they plan to continue their hard work, where they currently have a presence, to ensure that more Pacific Islander female athletes can not only access, but afford, opportunities for development. They will be widening their reach by offering state-wide clinics and expanding to include additional age groups. Teine Malohi will also look to broaden their impact. They are looking to either create or support other sports programs through both training and funding.
Woah! Teine Malohi Softball’s Impact Report is quite extensive. All of us here at Team Sports Planet are pretty impressed. If you are too, you will want to head on over to their facebook page by clicking HERE. Go on! Give ’em a “like” so they how much we support them.